This post is a little backdated - but important to our memories, nonetheless.
Our friends Downi and Boyce invited us to go to the 4th of July parade in town. We heard that the parade was a huge deal here - but we really weren't expecting much. To our surprise - they weren't kidding. Seriously, two days before the parade - people line up their lawn chairs along the streets. And it's completely safe -no worries about stealing or anything. You don't see that everyday.
Well, the day of the parade - we saw for ourselves just how big this event is to the community. First of all - it was raining the entire day. I thought surely the parade would be cancelled. Nope. You should have seen the street - people were lined up for miles despite the cold and soggy day! I wish I could have gotten an ariel shot to show the size of the crowd. And not only did they "go on with the show" but it was the longest parade I have ever seen in my life! It lasted about an hour and a half - maybe a little longer.
Brian and I were commenting on how huge the 4th of July celebration is here. Nothing like we have ever seen. Along with the parade and the usual festivities - there was a huge block party, the streets, the people and their houses were decorated in red, white and blue and most business were closed for the day. I was telling my dad about the day and about how people here are very into the holiday - and he pretty much summed it up. It's not because it's a small town with nothing to do - as someone might assume. But it's because the folks here are community-oriented, centered in traditions and history, very patriotic and very much proud to be American.
Please excuse the photo quality. My trusty little camera was almost out of batteries. I got what I could - isn't that what counts?
We had a great setup - we used our plastic paint drop cloth over both of our umbrellas and Brighton's stroller - so we were the only ones who stayed dry the entire time! I would highly recommend this makeshift tent for rainy day parade watching!
Wow, I knew this was big - but seriously, how do you book Abe Lincoln for a parade?
Whoa! First Abe, now Darth Vador? Am I missing the theme here?
The funny thing about this was that I heard something above us (thinking it was just another plane - which is common around here). And then I see Brian's eyes about the size of meatballs - exclaiming to me "Oh my gosh - check it out! It's the replica of the Wright Brother's flyer!" Seriously, this rare side of Brian is too funny. Did I mention how much he loves airplanes? And yes, this was part of the parade. And obviously Brian's favorite part.
I will definitely be coming back to see this house at Christmas!
Here is little B waiving his flag so proudly. What a great day.



No comments:
Post a Comment